Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Pint Night 08/23/06 Blue Moon


Pint night, August 23 2006 Blue Moon
Description from www.coors.com:
Blue Moon Belgian White, Belgian-style wheat ale, is a refreshing, medium-bodied, unfiltered Belgian-style wheat ale spiced with fresh coriander and orange peel for a uniquely complex taste and an uncommonly smooth finish.

The name "Belgian White" is a reference to the cloudy white, opaque appearance of the beer. "Belgian White" also refers to the style of beer, which has been brewed in Belgium for about 300 years. This type of ale is brewed with malt, wheat and oats. It is unfiltered, which allows protein and yeast to remain suspended in the beer and creates the cloudy appearance. This also adds to the smoothness and full body of the beer.

Putting a new twist on the lime ritual, Blue Moon is traditionally served with a slice of orange. Blue Moon was launched in 1995.

Blue Moon is available in bottles and kegs. The brew has 171 calories per 12-ounce serving and 5.4 percent alcohol by volume.

Awards
  • 1996 World Beer Championship silver medalist, White Beer category
  • 1997 World Beer Championship silver medalist, White Beer category
  • 1995 World Beer Championship gold medalist, White Beer category

2 comments:

Dr. C said...

Blue Moon. Unlike some other pint night beers, I have had this one before. I've never been a huge fan of it. Some people say it's because when I have had it in the past I didn't have an orange with it. I will say that having a big orange slice did make it a little bit more bearable for me. It brought out some of the orange flavor in the beer. Blue Moon had a little bit of a bite to it, which doesn't really linger around in the finish. The bite is probably due to the coriander that is mentioned in the description. Although many of the people I know really enjoy this beer, it just doesn't seem to titillate my taste buds. For me, I rate this beer a Finisher. That is, if I ordered this beer or was given this beer, I could finish it, but probably wouldn't order another one.

AsianSteev said...

Before I had the chance to experience Blue Moon for myself, I heard a couple of people speak negatively about it. I tried my hardest to not seek the negative, but embrace the positive. Drink the beer as if you've never heard anything about it, good or bad.
This beer had a thick yellow color and a medium head. The orange slice was a fun addition, and probably added several points to the flavor. I enjoyed the flavor, slight bite, but smoother than most, almost creamy. It resolved into a soft bitterness, which was helped immensely by the flavor of orange. There is honestly not a whole lot of negative I can say about this beer, but on the other hand, it wasn't particularly exciting. Better than average, but nothing to write home about. 6/10
Additionally, I like the rating of finisher, because it reminds me of the kid that you would play Mortal Kombat with as a kid, and when the game prompted "Finish Him!" you would throw your controller at him to perform a fatality, because you could never get it right. He was the finisher.